Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 30, 2010

Bears' draft day

I know I'm a little late, but I still need to give my take on the Bears' draft picks this year. As everyone probably knows, we did not have a first round draft pick or a second round one, either. The Bears haven't had a first round draft pick for two years and, personally, I never thought they did a good job with it anyways.

They didn't make a pick until the third round this year, and I think, finally, they did a good job with their first pick of the draft. Major Wright, the U of Florida safety. A good safety. I loved this pick. When I hear Major Wright, I think of the 2009 National Championship game. Sam Bradford through a deep pass to Iglesias, I believe that was the receiver. Major Wright came flying in and popped the receiver. As Chris Berman would say, "he got jacked up!" Every since that hit, I never forgot who Major Wright is. He's extremely quick, tough and has the potential to be the next quality, starting safety for the Bears. If the pick was on a letter grade scale, I'd say it was an A-.

Corey Wootton, the defensive end from Northwestern, was the Bears fourth round selection. In my mind, this is the Bears' so-called "Corey Wootton experiment." But, unlike Oakland's Jamarcus Russel experiment, Wootton was selected in the fourth round, not the first. Before Wootton tore apart his knee, he was a potential first round draft pick. If he can stay healthy, he has the chance of being a solid defensive end. The Bears no long have Alex Brown so they are in need of a replacement. Hopefully he works out. If not, it's not the end of the world. He was only a fourth round pick.

Their fifth round pick was Kansas State's cornerback, Joshua Moore. I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, but I know nothing about this guy. He went to school in Manhattan, a couple hours away from my home away from home, Lawrence. We'll see what he can do.

The Bears sixth round pick was a great fairy tale selection. Dan LeFevour, the Naperville native, was Central Michigan's quarterback, and a very good one, as well. If Jay Cutler does not pan out, LeFevour will get a chance to show what he can do. If LeFevour gets significant playing time, it's not going to happen for another three or four years or if Jay Cutler gets injured. For now, he's riding the pine for his hometown, childhood team. You have to feel for the guy and think about it in personal terms. What if you got drafted by your hometown team in your favorite sport of all time? Awesome.

Under the Bears' draft day circumstances, I think they did a good job. Watch out for Major Wright and Wootton. These guys can be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment