Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hawks oust Preds

First round vs. Nashville

After a couple of early scares to start the post season, the Blackhawks were VICTORIOUS! and sent the Nashville Predators home packing after defeating them four games to two, in the seven-game series.

Obviously, I am ecstatic. The Hawks move on to the conference semifinals and are scheduled to play the Vancouver Canucks - they have one of the best goalies in the world, right now, in Roberto Luongo. He, along with Toews, Seabrook and Keith won the gold medal in this year's Olympics.

The opening round series between the Hawks and the Preds was crazier than I would have hoped for. It was a little stressful seeing the Hawks go down 1-0 in the series, and then 2-1. However, I never once thought it was over. Hockey is quite the sport, and anything can happen with one change in momentum. We witnessed that this past series vs. Nashville.

Through the first four games of the Nashville series, the Hawks won two games in which Niemi recorded the no-no, and they lost two games, both resulting with four goals against. Game five was quite different from the trends we saw in the first four games.

With a 3-1 lead going into the third period of game five, I was pretty comfortable but still wanted to see another puck hit the back of the twine behind Pekka Rinne. This didn't happen before the Preds were able to score two goals, tying the game at three. With just minutes left in game five, with a score of 3-3, Nashville trickled a goal past Niemi to take the lead, 4-3. I'm not going to lie - I was pretty depressed at this time. We gave up a two-goal-lead in the third period lead of game five, with the series tied, waiting to head to Nashville for game six. We couldn't afford to lose that game; it just couldn't happen.

Thankfully, it didn't. One of my good friends, Brian Bakal, text messaged me with a minute-and-a-half left in the third period saying, "this one's over." Brian, just like I told you Saturday, I'm going to tell you again; a hockey game is never over until the clock strikes 00:00.

However, with minimal time left in the third period with the Hawks trailing 4-3, Hossa wrecked Hamhuis, Nashville's defender, and went to the box for a five-minute penalty.

Five-minute penalty?! What have I said throughout the playoffs? We need to stay out of the box in order to win games! However, once again I was wong...thank the lord! While the Hawks were shorthanded, Toews broke out of the zone, heading towards Pekka. With less than a minute left, Patty Kane tapped one in the net and tied the game up at four.

Wow! That was unbelievable. As soon as I saw Kaner do his patented arm-slash while sliding on the ice with one knee, I couldn't help but smile ear-to-ear, jumping up and down, giving high-fives to my fellow Blackhawk fans.

The Hawks tied the game, and I knew it was a short-handed goal, but lost in all the joy, I forgot Hossa was serving the five-minute penalty - not two minutes. The Hawks had to go to OT and kill a five-minute penalty, in addition to attempt to win the game. Like my father said over the phone, "I may have a heart attack before overtime is over!"

The Hawks killed the five minute penalty in OT, and shortly after, Hossa skated out of the box and flicked in a rebound for the game winning goal. Yes! The game winning goal! What a way to score your first playoff goal with the team that signed you for the next 12 years. While writing this, I still smile ear-to-ear, because I have never seen a game like game five. I went nuts - absolutely nuts.

Going into overtime, I thought to myself, "if we lose this game, we lose the series." We didn't lose, and as you know, we proceeded to win the series.

Conference Semifinals vs. Vancouver

In my previous post, I preached about the Hawks needing to stay out of the penalty box and preventing shorthanded situations. I still think this is going have to happen in order for us to win, especially against Vancouver. Like I said, they have one of the best goaltenders in the world. If we allow him to heat up, we could be in for some trouble.

Did you see Luongo's ridiculous glove save in game six against the Kings? If you didn't, check it out. It is absolutely ridiculous!

If we stay out the box we will avoid shorthanded situations, hopefully creating power-play opportunities. The Canucks offense is very solid behind the Sedin twins and Kesler (Patrick Kane's Team USA teammate in this year's Olympics). The Hawks have not been a team that struggles to score against Luongo. We ousted them from last year's playoffs in six games, and I vividly remember putting up seven goals against him this year. If we stay on the ice and out of the penalty box, the scoring opportunities will come; I am not worried about that.

Like I continue to say, we need to avoid penalties. Cooler heads will prevail. As I think back to last year's postseason series against the Canucks, one thing continuously comes to mind. The series was very physical and filled with fights. Andrew Ladd broke Ryan Kesler's nose in a game and the two have gone back-and-forth on the ice, dropping the gloves, and via media. Expect a few scrounges between those two. I assume that this series is going to be as physical, if not more, than last year's. It should be great hockey and fantastic TV entertainment. As long as the Hawks stay poised, we should oust the Canucks, again, and make our way to the Conference Finals.

On to my next point - Antti Niemi. This man has played outstanding hockey. Yes, a few goals have gone in that probably shouldn't have, but numbers do not lie. Niemi has a 92 percent save percentage, and obviously, two shut-outs. That is all I need to say about him. His postseason stats speak for himself and until Niemi's game tumbles, I'm not saying anything else. Huet can enjoy the show on the bench and get used to that, because Niemi has proved that he is playing for the Cup, as well as future years in a Hawks uniform. Keep in mind, he is only a rookie.

Overall, the Nashville series was nerve-wrecking, yet amazing. The Hawks came out on top and now have to play Roberto Luongo and the Canucks. Hossa popped his 2010 playoff cherry with the game-winning goal in game five, Kaner is heating up, along with Toews, and Sharp continues to fire shots on net. Seabrook is laying guys out with his body, Keith is playing great, and Brent Sopel has no fear of taking shots to the face as he has attempted to block as many slap-shots from the point as possible. These guys aren't messing around. They want to win the Stanley Cup, and this year could very possibly be the year. Let me quote Barry Melrose after the Hawks game five victory; "They are a team of destiny." Take that however you please, but if the Hawks continue to play like they are, it's going to be hard to take them down.

Take the next step to the Cup and send the Canucks home packing. Go Hawks!

Related Links

Luongo's glove-save vs. Kings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMockQnE9jE

Hawks/Canucks brawl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCCR0PcT4_E

2 comments:

  1. Even I got nervous nearing the end of the third period of the 6th game with 3 penalties right in a row to kill. I bet you thought I wasn't watching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those three penalties got pretty scary come #2 and #3. But we got through it, fortunately. I knew you were watching. If you were home, unless you were upstairs by yourself, you'd be watching, considering pops and Joe were definitely watching it.

    ReplyDelete